Our current published admission number (PAN) is 386.
For information on the school admissions process please click on the following link:
Year 2 - Year 3 Transition
High Down Junior and Infant Schools are Federated. This means that we have one governing body and a headteacher and associate headteacher across the federation.
The majority of our children come from our neighbouring High Down Infant School. We work closely with them to ensure the smooth transition, both educationally and socially, from Infant to Junior. We do recognise that moving to Junior School is a big step and we provide many opportunities for Year 2 children to experience life with us before moving over in September. We have joint events with the Infant school and Year 2 children visit us and take part in PE lessons and lunchtime play. Our older pupils act as “buddies” to them in both Year 2 and when they join us in Year 3 and our House system also provides a sense of belonging. In most cases, the children embrace the opportunity to move on and become more independent.
If you have any questions at all regarding the transition process please talk to Mrs Cowan or Mrs Parker.
Year 6 - Year 7 Transition
The majority of High Down families choose Gordano School for their secondary education.
- Pupils have the opportunity during Year 6 to visit Gordano School on their ‘open evenings’.
Summer Term 5:
- Staff from both schools share important information about pupils’ academic performance and any other special educational needs that they might have.
- Vulnerable learners and pupils who may find transition difficult have the opportunity to participate in a transition programme led by secondary staff. In the past this has included extra time being allowed for secondary staff to get to know vulnerable Year 6 pupils during a visit to our school. This is followed by extra visits to Gordano school to work with staff in the new environment. This helps the pupils to be fully familiar with the secondary school site and to get to know key staff before they commence secondary school in September.
Summer Term 6:
- Gordano teaching staff visit our year 6 pupils in school to talk about the opportunities available at Gordano and their expectations for pupils.
- In July the pupils will spend a whole day at Gordano working with their staff and getting to know the school.
Full admission details for applying to a secondary school can be found on individual school websites.