Friends of High Down
The Friends of High Down Junior School (the Friends) is an active group open to parents, staff and governors who meet regularly.
The object of the Friends is to -
“Advance the education of the pupils in the school, purchasing items that the school may not otherwise be able to afford, through fundraising”.
“Organise events that the children can become involved in and gain both in their development and enjoyment”.
Friends make a huge difference to some of the events which are over and above normal curriculum activities at High Down Junior School. Things such as the Induction, Science and Arts Weeks would not happen without our support.
- Firework Night, which is attended not only by families of children at High Down, but is a major event in the Portishead calendar. Take a look at the photos of the evening in the School Gallery.
- Christmas Fair, an opportunity for the family to get ready for Christmas, with the children buying family presents in the secret room, and the popular visit from Santa.
- Summer Fair, where our Year 6 students get to produce their own business cases and run their own stalls, plus the opportunity for other year groups to provide the entertainment programme
If you would like to join us and become part of this active, fun committee, or have any fundraising ideas you'd like to share with us, there are a number of ways to contact us :
- Please email us on firstname.lastname@example.org
- Like our Facebook page ; Friends of High Down Junior School
- Leave your name and contact details at the school office.
- See another committee member in the playground.
The Friends committee has a small number of members who meet the first Thursday of every month, to make decisions and agree plans. The meeting takes place at The Ship at 7.30pm. It is all very informal and fun. Key members have stepped down recently, so there are new core committee members taking over.
You can even help the Friends just by doing your on-line shopping. Simply register at http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/highdownjuniors
Committee Members 2016-2017
Chair Debbie Brown
Vice Chair Amanda Edwards
Secretary Liz Aston
Treasurer Sonja Gortzak-Hughes
Fireworks Jo Shayler