Year 6 to Year 7 Transition
The majority of High Down families choose Gordano School for their secondary education.
- Pupils have the opportunity during Year 6 to visit Gordano School on their ‘open evenings’.
Summer Term 5:
- Staff from both schools share important information about pupils’ academic performance and any other special educational needs that they might have.
- Vulnerable learners and pupils who may find transition difficult have the opportunity to participate in a transition programme led by secondary staff. In the past this has included extra time being allowed for secondary staff to get to know vulnerable Year 6 pupils during a visit to our school. This is followed by extra visits to Gordano school to work with staff in the new environment. This helps the pupils to be fully familiar with the secondary school site and to get to know key staff before they commence secondary school in September.
Summer Term 6:
- Gordano teaching staff visit our year 6 pupils in school to talk about the opportunities available at Gordano and their expectations for pupils.
- In July the pupils will spend a whole day at Gordano working with their staff and getting to know the school.
Full admission details for applying to a secondary school can be found on individual school websites.